White House Official Communication to Trump D.J.-Parkland Mass Shooting- 2/18/2018- Public Release
February 18, 2018
Mr. Donald J. Trump
President of the United States of America
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20500
I write to you with a heavy heart and unfettered concern for the increase in indiscriminate violent criminal acts executed against our students and school staff members in the United States of America, most recently at Stoneman Douglas High School located in Parkland, Florida. I offer both my Prayers and personal condolences to the family, friends and neighbors of the seventeen (17) United States citizens unnecessarily slaughtered by a criminal coward who chose to reject the basic faith and personal values maintained by the vast majority of Americans. Unfortunately, I anticipate further partisan gridlock from our United States Congress may cause no real legislative initiative to protect the school children in the United States of America.
As a staunch Second Amendment supporter and a practicing bail bondsman, I do not believe any Federal ban on the AR-15 rifle platform will curtail Murder committed against American citizens. While I do believe the AR-15 has been the rifle of choice for domestic terrorist attacks because of the quality of the AR-15’s rifle platform, I also believe that a Federal ban on the AR-15 will only push domestic terrorist to utilize a similar rifle platform (or simply purchase an AR-15 from an illegal source) to attack fellow Americans, thus having no real effect upon limiting mass violence incidents in the United States of America.
As a former 2016 Republican U.S. Congressional Candidate who sought to represent the City of St. Louis, I can attest the City St. Louis has the highest number of Murders per citizen capita in the United States of America, and the AR-15 rifle platform was rarely utilized in Murders committed against St. Louisans. Further, opponents of American citizens owning the AR-15 rifle platform demonise any discussion of increasing mental health resources to combat gun violence, which would have an impactful effect on decreasing domestic violence and suicides deaths in the United States.
As the duly-elected leader of the United States of America, I believe one of the paramount responsibilities of any President is to protect the ability of any American student to attend our school systems without fear of threat or violence from any person or organization, even if our National Guard is required to provide such protection. It is vitally important for members of the Executive Branch of the United States to provide constitutional solutions to address the safety concerns of America’s most vulnerable population from murderous terrorist activity. Respectfully, it is “high-noon” for our U.S. Congress GOP Caucus and the Trump Administration to provide immediate leadership and take decisive action to curtail terrorism activity targeted against soft targets and “gun-free” zones in the United States, such as our children and grandchildren’s American school system.
For your consideration, the following public policy suggestions provide the Executive Branch of the United States Government a constitutional and effective approach to developing a safe and secure education environment demanded by student, staff and parent stakeholders of our elementary and secondary educational systems in the United States of America, as follows:
- Issue a Presidential Executive Order, declaring any organized indiscriminate violent attack on any school or higher learning facility is considered a terrorist attack against the United States of America, and shall immediately be treated as such by all agencies under the authority of the United States Department of Justice. Any act of terrorism committed on the soil of the United States of America by any citizen of the United States shall be provided all due process rights before the Federal or state court systems in the United States.
- Issue a Presidential Executive Order, directing Office of Homeland Security to serve as the lead Federal investigative and protective agency for any threat or commission of any indiscriminate violent attack on any school or higher learning facility in the United States of America;
- Issue a Presidential Executive Order, directing Office of Homeland Security and Department of Education to create a single national security protocol for all public schools and local law enforcement to address any threat or commission of an indiscriminate violent attack on any school or higher learning facility;
- Issue a Presidential Executive Order, directing the Office of Homeland Security to create a universal audio alarm sequence unique from fire or tornado audio alarm sequences, to alert students and staff of any active violent attack occurring at any elementary or secondary public school building or gathering in the United States of America;
- Issue a request to United States Congress requesting passage of an emergency spending bill in the amount of three billion dollars ($3,000,000.00 USD) to establish a School Resource Officer Security Grant executed by Office of Homeland Security, which shall be available to one hundred thousand (100,000) elementary and secondary public school buildings in the United States of America. The suggested School Resource Officer Security Grant shall be provided on behalf of elementary and secondary public school children, as follows:
- Each elementary and secondary public school building shall be eligible for a security grant in the amount of thirty thousand dollars ($30,000.00 USD) each school year, to provide each elementary and secondary public school building in the United States of America access to at least one School Resource Officer;
- Any funds from School Resource Officer Security Grant shall only be utilized for payroll salaries attributed to security services provided by School Resource Officers at the assigned elementary and secondary public school property, or school transportation service, in the United States of America;
- Any School Resource Officer receiving any payroll salary from Federal funds provided School Resource Officer Security Grant shall be a qualified law enforcement officer. Security guards or other School Resource Officers may augment any security services provided by any School Resource Officer recognized by Office of Homeland Security;
- Any School Resource Officer receiving employment funds from School Resource Officer Security Grant shall be responsible for reporting any threat or commission of any indiscriminate violent attack on any elementary and secondary public school property, or any school transportation service, to Office of Homeland Security;
- Any School Resource Officer receiving employment funds from School Resource Officer Security Grant shall complete online training created by Homeland Security and the Department of Education to execute national security protocol established for all American public schools related to any threat or commission of an indiscriminate violent attack on any school or higher learning facility;
- Any School Resource Officer seeking to receive employment funds from School Resource Officer Security Grant shall participate in one regional School Resource Officer practical training session the summer before each school year, which shall be organized by Office of Homeland Security; and
- Hiring preference for new School Resource Officer applicants receiving School Resource Officer Grant funds shall be afforded to law enforcement officers who were Honorably Discharged from the United States Armed Services.
In addition to the aforementioned public policy action items, I recommend supporting the following long-term public policy objectives to decrease mass violence incidents in the United States, as follows:
- Establish a comprehensive national mental health resource referral system in the United States of America, to provide emergency rooms, first-responders, nonprofits, school officials and families the ability to fight back against the current mental health epidemic plaguing our Nation.
- Increased criminal penalties for persons who sells any firearm with knowledge of such firearm being stolen to any person who commits Murder or Attempted Murder in the United States of America.
- Establish criminal justice reform that provides longer incarceration periods for violent criminal offenders, in lieu of, incarcerating large populations of non-violent criminal offenders, to which, limits the occupancy space for violent criminal offenders in Federal and state penitentiary systems.
- Require any person released upon criminal bail for any violent or sexual offense shall be released in the custody of a licensed bail bondsman, with an appropriate amount of bail set by Federal and state criminal court systems in the United States; and
- Issue a request to United States Congress requesting passage of an emergency spending bill in the amount of two hundred fifty million dollars ($250,000.00 USD) to establish a Department of Justice Witness Protection Grant available to state-level criminal prosecutors, The suggested Department of Justice Witness Protection Grant shall be provided on behalf of the Citizens of the United State of America, as follows:
- Upon the commission of any intentional homicide, the state-level criminal prosecutor responsible for determining state-level criminal charges shall be eligible to request a Department of Justice Witness Protection Grant, in the amount of fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000.00 USD) for each intentional homicide, to provide state-level criminal prosecutors access to the financial resources necessary to protect witnesses to an intentional homicide from intimidation, perceived threats or from actual violence from any person who is associated with an organized criminal element or related to the intentional homicide;
- Department of Justice Witness Protection Grant shall only be utilized for any expense considered prudent by state-level criminal prosecutors to protect witnesses to an intentional homicide from intimidation, perceived threats or from actual violence from any person who is associated with an organized criminal element or related to the intentional homicide; and
- The balance of any Department of Justice Witness Protection Grant received and not utilized by any state-level criminal prosecutors who requests Department of Justice Witness Protection Grant to protect any witness to a homicide from intimidation, perceived threats or actual violence shall be transferred to the Office of the United States Attorney who shares concurrent prosecutorial jurisdiction with such state-level criminal prosecutor, who shall subsequently utilize the balance of such Department of Justice Witness Protection Grant funds to issue discretionary financial grants to community organizations that provide no-charge athletic or skills-based activities scholarships to children and young adults who reside within the same prosecutorial jurisdiction.
As we both share a mutual respect and love for the United States Constitution, including the Second Amendment, I believe that you will share in my conclusion that the aforementioned public policy suggestions will decrease the intentional homicide rate plaguing our communities, without infringing on our inalienable right to bear arms in the United States of America. I believe that the partisan deadlock in our U.S. Congress, as relates to addressing loss of life by violent domestic terroristic acts, is vastly responsible for the uptick in such violent acts. Simply stated, anti-gun advocates refuse to accept the fact that mental health and a criminal justice system unfocused on violent crime threats are both major components in most violent acts that end in death.
In my final note, I respectfully request you consider guiding the public dialogue related to how Americans identify any person who wields violence against our school children or at any other public area. Regardless of age, sex, race or nationality, any person who commits such an act is a terrorist. Period, end of story. I believe all Americans, including our elected officials and mass media outlets, should maintain consistent on such principle. The aforementioned public policy solutions in this correspondence only applies to a macro analysis on how to the United States of America can stem violent acts in the United States, over time.
On a micro level, there are only two things the United States Government should declare to the public when any person commits any act of organized indiscriminate violence, such as the criminal suspect in the Parkland, Florida massacre. The first point the public should hear about domestic terrorists is he or she will be tried fairly, in accordance with the United States Constitution and criminal law. The second point, upon a finding of guilt and after the customary review by the United States Supreme Court, the Parkland shooter will be executed swiftly and efficiently. There is no redemption or excuse related to mental health that will excuse the heinous acts of any cowardly criminal who purposely shoots unsuspecting students at a school setting, such as the Parkland Shooter. Mental Health remedies only apply to those who have not committed mass homicidal acts and are salvageable human beings, there is nothing to salvage from a person who commits seventeen (17) premeditated Murders at an American school. While I am a staunch advocate for Mental Health resources, lets not permit our GOP caucus to become complacent with limiting our remedies to protecting American schools with Mental Health block grants to our states. The time has come for Washington D.C. to protect our school children in America with at least the same care, concern and expense as we protect or banks, bars and backyards.
Paul Berry III
Executive Producer and Host
Show Me Politics TV